Monday, December 2, 2013

Contrarian's Thanks

I rather like Thanksgiving, but as a jaded, irascible, contrarian, I struggle with it as well.

While others can say a genuine, heartfelt thanks for all they have and more, when I say these words they feel shallow. Don't get me wrong - I am deeply thankful for all that I have. But stating such thanks on a day of thank giving feels pithy and forced.

So here is my attempt at a genuine reflection on the things for which I truly am thankful.

***

I am thankful for the hardships I've faced
Because they've made me stronger
While making me realize how much easier
I've had it than others.

I am thankful for my anger
In the face of injustice.

I am thankful for my passion
To keep fighting injustice.
However long it takes.

And longer.

I am thankful to all those who
Share in this fight.
To those who started before me,
And to those who will continue after I'm gone.

I am thankful to all those who have shared their
Voice, views and experience.
Who have trusted me to listen to them with an open mind.

I am thankful to all those who have
Listened to me with an open mind.

I am thankful to all those who have challenged me
Who have opened my mind and clarified my thinking.

I am thankful to all those who have supported me,
So I know I'm not always alone.

I am thankful for moments of silence.

I am thankful for moments of joy.

I am thankful for pain, sorrow, death and grief.

I am thankful that life is not static.

I am thankful for the good and the bad.
For the people I've hated and the people I've loved.

I am thankful
To be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment